By: Dr. Nathan Coughlin
Invisalign is likely one of the greatest advancements we have had in orthodontics for the past 50 years. The revolutionary technology has take the dental world by storm.
If you are contemplating getting Invisalign treatment in Richardson, then you likely have a few questions. Let me help guide you through your orthodontic journey.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a clear aligner therapy that allows you to move your teeth without the need for braces. It’s technology has been around for over 20 years and continuously gets better.
You may have attachments on your teeth to allow the trays to latch onto the aligners better during therapy. For this reason, we say Invisalign is nearly the “invisible” option for braces.
How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign is a set of clear aligners. You change the aligners weekly which make small adjustments in your teeth.
Over time these adjustments will align your teeth into proper occlusion. You may need to get a set of refinement aligners if the teeth are not perfectly straight at the end of your treatment.
Why choose Invisalign?
There are many benefits to clear aligner therapy esepecially when contemplating adult orthodontics.
- Esthetics: Clear aligner treatment is nearly invisible.
- Hygiene: Invisalign allows for easy cleaning and flossing of your teeth as you remove the aligners for proper oral hygiene.
- Comfort: The aligners are comfortable and form to your teeth well.
Why aligners may not be your best option:
Invisalign is a great technology but it is not for everyone. Here are a few reasons why this orthodontic treatment may not be for you:
- Cost: Invisalign is one of the most expensive tooth movement options.
- Effort: You must remove and put on aligners multiple times throughout the day, which can be tedious.
- Speech issues: Some patients develop a little lisp due to the aligners.
What is the cost of Invisalign in Richardson, TX?
Like all dental treatments, costs can vary greatly. The typical cost of Invisalign varies from $4100 to $6500 for full treatments.
Why does cost vary so much for Invisalign treatment?
The cost for treatment can vary from patient to patient for a few reasons:
- Length of your treatment: In general, the longer and more difficult the treatment, the more expensive it will be.
- The need for extractions: If you need extractions, that will add to your overall costs.
- Appliances: If a patient needs any additional appliances during orthodontic treatment, that will change your costs.
Does my Insurance cover Invisalign?
Most dental insurance that has orthodontic coverage will cover a portion of your Invisalign treatment.
Things to look out for when choosing orthodontic insurance:
- Do you actually have orthodontic coverage?
- Is there a waiting period? Some insurances make you wait a year before starting orthodontic coverage.
- Is there an age limit? Many dental insurances will cover patients who are 18 years and younger but not adults. Check with your insurance to see what age you are covered until.
- Work in progress: Does your insurance cover work in progress? This will be important if you have already started Invisalign or Braces treatment.
For a list of dental insurances we accept click here.
What happens after Invisalign treatment?
After any orthodontic treatment you will receive retainers.
Retainers will retain your teeth in the same position they were when you finished treatment.
It is important to note that retainers are a LIFE LONG COMMITMENT! Many patients are not aware of this. I always tell patients to wear their retainers as long as they want their teeth straight.
Although retainer wear is only at night you should continue a variation of this habit for the rest of your life.
About Breckinridge Dental and Orthodontics
We strive to give every patient the best possible care. Our orthodontists are able to guide you through you Invisalign or braces journey.
Remember, as always, orthodontic consults are free so make an appointment today!